Friday 30 March 2018

A visit to XR&D

I'd got to the point in the design where it was getting difficult to visualise things. The 'problem' areas were the stern - trying to work out how the swim would affect space and levels and trying to work out the volumes for tanks, etc in the bow.

Luckily, Lee and Gary had a couple of very similar boats in build, at the latter stages of construction. They were happy for me to clamber over them and take lots of measurements and photos.

This shows the well deck of a boat with a Josher bow (mine will be a Trad). Here, we are trying to work out the proportions of the well deck and Potter's locker.

I'd really like the locker to be 100cm front to back a) to make it look right and b) to house the generator lengthways. Otherwise it will take up most of the locker! I also want to leave enough of a well deck to make it a usable space. Thought will also have to be given to side lockers, as the well deck to gunwale will be around 22".




This boat is having a modern engine mounted at quite an oblique angle to allow more room to pass by.

I am proposing more of an S-shaped swim, the idea being to provide an even better flow of water to the prop and improved reversing characteristics.

I did consider a water lubricated stern gland, but I'm concerned about stories of grit causing wear to the shaft and seals.


It might sound silly, but even the dimensions of the roof are important! The distance between the handrails will affect the possible size of solar panels, for instance, whilst still leaving enough room to walk between them.

I'm hoping to fit at least six semi-flexible solar panels to the roof. I know these aren't as efficient as rigid ones, but they are more compact and don't carry the risk of snagging ropes, etc.

My grab rails will be open - basically, lengths of rubbing strake set on studs.


While I was at XR&D, I was able to have a look at a boat being painted in the DIY bay. Interestingly, the roof was being painted in exactly the finish I had identified as probably being the best - Epifane non-slip deck coating.

The red is slightly darker than appears in the photos and is remarkably close to Raddle Red. This was a useful piece of information, as their online colour chart doesn't show this colour!

(I've had those sanded non-slips panels on boats before and have found them terrible dirt traps.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Maiden voyage and cooker!

It's been an eventful few days! We've been enjoying a spell of unseasonably warm weather, which was predicted to end on the last day...